Skateboarding: {Much less} {harmful} than mainstream sports

4401826650_d9705040a5_o

4401826650 d9705040a5 o Skateboarding: {Much less} {harmful} than mainstream sports
{Whilst} it {might} not be shocking that {much more} {people} are injured playing football (the American {selection}) {every} year than skateboarding, did you know {much more} {people} are injured playing soccer, {too}? Here’s a {look} at how {many} – and what {type} of – injuries there are in 16 {different} sports.

Tony Owen is a web developer, skateboarder, designer, musician, traveler and blogger. Founder of Arkitecht and Skateboarding Magazine.

35 Comments

1. AKALucifer

March 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

This is kinda meaningless. Less people skate to begin with so it makes sense there would be less overall injuries.

2. jake

March 4, 2010 at 6:03 pm

The title is super ignorant. There are thousands upon thousands less skateboarders than people who engage in mainstream sports. You’re distorting numbers. Show percentage of skaters injured to percentage of football, basketball and ESPECIALLY soccer players. Then see which is more dangerous

3. lee

March 5, 2010 at 8:00 am

these figures are meaningless. they are not proportional. not many people use snowmobiles so the number of accidents is low. but if 12,735 people get hurt out of a user base of 30,000, then snowmobile related injuries would be number one on the list. :/

i’ve skated for over 21 years and i’ve never broke anything. worst slam was a nose bluntslide because i couldn’t roll out of it.

4. herro

March 6, 2010 at 12:09 am

im sorry but this is awful. there is no way on earth swimming is more dangerous than snowboarding and skiing. i wouldnt doubt that these statistics are based on the number of people playing the sport, so naturally there would be more people injured every year. if they made it all relative to a certain amount of people it would be good statistics. this is garbage.

5. Mike

March 6, 2010 at 5:14 pm

This is interesting, but it doesn’t really say much without percentages of injury relative to how many people participate in a given sport. For instance, maybe the reason basketball is number 1 is because more people play basketball?

6. me

March 8, 2010 at 11:06 am

do this again with percentages instead.

7. Pingback: Bear Files

8. lvleph

March 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I guess they just assume that we skateboarders are too stupid to realize. I am getting a PhD in Mathematics, so clearly we are stupid. Maybe, just the editors and writers are Skateboarding Magazine are that stupid.

If you consider how few people skateboard compared to playing football, you might see that it is far more dangerous. I can attest to it being dangerous considering more than 30 broken bones over 16 years of skateboarding.

9. Joel

March 12, 2010 at 9:48 am

Plus you didn’t even take into consideration that half the injury’s you listed for bicycle riding, can happen to skateboarders too, like being hit by cars, and head injurys. I’m pretty sure Jamie Thomas broke his legs when he attempted the Leap of Faith also, but according to this article, you can’t break your legs from skateboarding.

10. DPJ

March 12, 2010 at 11:30 am

Did any of you read the comments before you posted? Just wondering, because every one of you said basically the same damn thing.

Also, why are you so personally offended? It’s just a silly charticle on the Internet.

And, AGAYLucifer, it’s “fewer people skate,” not “less.”

11. BAKES

March 12, 2010 at 1:45 pm

The reason basketball is number 1 is because pussies play basketball and get paid to act like they’re injured. You never see a football player.. EVEN A QB out for a “bruised thumb” for more then 2 days. Basketball is strictly for gays and metrosexual men.

12. Pingback: DUMPA

13. twizzle

March 13, 2010 at 2:24 am

THIS IS SO FUCKING STUPID. ELEMENTARY LOGIC FAIL.

14. kickinnuts

March 18, 2010 at 9:07 am

Why isn’t there an article about Rochambeau – the fast-paced, go-get-’em sport of kicking one another in the nuts? Of course playing the game results in injury, but considering the number of people people who actively play the game is pretty small there would nevertheless be fewer injuries than skateboarding!

15. SB

March 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

i mean this is just because skateboarders don’t ever go to the hospital. they’re too badass.

16. Pingback: inaki escudero

26. Pingback: Alix Pennycuick

27. Pingback: jim cavanagh

28. Pingback: Brandon Gray

29. Pingback: Eoin Ó Súilleabháin

30. Craig

July 11, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Eating pizza is far more dangerous, I’d say 100% accident rate for burning the roof of your mouth with hot cheese!

31. Craig

July 11, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I’m an idiot….. Reads the foot note fellas. This is a weighted probability table…. meaning if you DID all of these you are about 4x more likely to be hurt whilts playing Football then skatebording. So the data is very valid

32. Pingback: Alexandre Milek

33. Tyler Hohenstein

June 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Find the percentages of injuries per athlete for each sport. I skate and play soccer and I can honestly say my injuries are both more frequent and severe when skateboarding than soccer. I’ve broken my right kneecap, my left wrist, my left humerus in five places down towards the elbow, my left and right clavicles several times each, and twisted my ankles and bruised my heels more times than I count, all while skating; but while playing soccer I’ve only torn my left ACL, gotten two concussions, and twisted my ankles several times. I may have also broken my left foot playing soccer but it was never set because it was a long time ago and I just have not noticed it; however, since I have no idea how or when I broke it, that it’s just as likely I’d broken it skating or when I used to polevault in highschool as a scrub-ish freshman looking for attention.

34. Tyler Hohenstein

June 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Sorry I didn’t see the note about the statistical weight.

35. Pingback: Han Whitecloud